Brain Barf

May contain traces of nuts.

Friday, November 07, 2008

Dear Mr. Obama,

My first involvement in politics was when I hung a blue Dukakis sign on my bedroom wall as a teen. I did it to piss my ultra Conservative Mormon parents off. I didn't know why it pissed them off, but pissing them off was a valid enough reason for me.
The first time I voted was in 1992. I had been eighteen for four months and I voted for Ross Perot.
This became the standard of my presidential choice not winning, until last Tuesday.

An election has never affected me personally as much as this one.

I don't believe that the most significant part of you winning is how much pigment you have in you epidermis, or that you will be the first president in forty years to take over in a time of war or that you are a Democrat etc. etc.

I think that the most important part of you winning is the record turn out of voters...that we as a people, finally chose not to be stagnant. Agree or disagree McCain or Obama, at least we were woken from our stupor.

I know your campaign slogan was, "yes we can." But my personal reason, was "HOPE." I chose to vote for you when a support group I belong to sent me a link comparing the candidates health care plans side by side. I have a niece with a severe congenital condition (the support group I belong to
http://www.caresfoundation.org/productcart/pc/index.html ). I also work in a long term care facility and voted for Washington State Initiative I 1000/ Death with dignity. But, there are insurance companies who will pay for someone to kill them self, but not for treatments to keep them alive.

In the next few years I fear for your shoulders. Has there ever been another president who will inherit such a sad state of affairs?

Has there ever been another president where so many expectations need to be so desperately fulfilled?

Can we talk about Proposition H8te for a moment? You as a person who belongs to a group who has been deeply discriminated against, how can you not fix this one? It's just so wrong on so many levels.
The shock and disgust I experienced when I saw people celebrating prop H8te passing is beyond words. What sort of ignorant person delights in other people having their rights taken away?

My personal belief is that if you accept one prejudice, you allow them all.

You don't have to agree with gay marriage, but you must recognize the blatant discrimination and denial of basic rights. My lesbian sister has been with her partner for sixteen years. I've been married for eleven. We love and argue with our spouses the same as any other committed couple. Will you look her in the eye and tell her that their love isn't valid and not enough?

AND! Churches that meddle in politics should lose their tax-exempt status!!

I hope in four years your campaign slogan is "yes we did."
Although, I realize that four years is a very small amount of time to fix decades of errs.
Maybe, "yes we are"?

And I hope.

http://www.census.gov/population/www/popclockus.html

And while I'm at it, no one can say it better than this friend of mine:

http://beaniecapguy.typepad.com/beanie_cap_guy/2008/11/fuck-the-mormons.html



Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home