Brain Barf

May contain traces of nuts.

Friday, November 09, 2007

Peanuts and CrackerJacks

I know, I know, you're all tired of my goopy love shit family pictures, so here is something else you probably don't care about:

I grew up in Utah (to this day doesn't have a MLB team.) I hadn't ever been to a MLB game, and didn't know much if anything about the sport.
My oldest sister played softball at Snow College, and that was just about my entire baseball/softball experience.

I moved to Seattle when I was nineteen and got a job at a Boeing subcontractor as a receiving supervisor. The big shipping companies would try to schmooze us by handing out Mariners tickets.
I thought, free is good, and I'll try anything once.
Hooked.
I got about two free tickets a week and then bought the rest for every home game.
Seriously. Hooked.
Then I started a company softball team.
I was single at the time, so I took my daughters with me and supplied them up with a cooler full of snacks/drinks, coloring books and a beach umbrella so they wouldn't get beaned.
(Mommy is at bat, eat your Cheetos!)
I played until we couldn't anymore, because of some lame ass insurance reasons.


When I was five feet around and almost 10 months pregnant with my twins, I went to the very last Mariners game at the Kingdome. It took me quite awhile because I was in a lot of pain and my sister had to help me get to our seats. They lost of course, but you expect that when you're a Mariners fan.
I went into labor with my boys that morning at 3am.
I was also at the first ever rained out game at The Safe, because the roof malfunctioned.
I used to take binoculars to the games...honestly, to get a better look at hot man ass in baseball pants.
I'm not ashamed.

I thought it was pretty cool that they kept the same staff from the Kingdome when they moved to the Safe. The peanut man had a wicked change up and the Red Dog beer man knew he could always talk me into one.

My new found love of Baseball was one of the hardest reasons I had moving to Eastern Washington.
I long for the Jay Buhner, Edgar Martinez, Randy Johnson, Dan Wilson, Joey Cora, and above all, Lou Pinella days.

I got the first three of Ken Burns Baseball DVD's from Netflix today.
I watched the first one, and am trying to post this while I'm itching (or maybe its time for another Benadryl, damn kittens!) to watch the other two.
My Golden Retriever, Moses, now has a full name that I can yell at him when he is in trouble:
Moses Fleetwood Walker, don't you even piss on my boxwood's!

It's barely November and I have m o n t h s to go (pronounced "Muh Uhn Thes" with a pathetic groan at the end.)
Another reason to HATE winter.
Both of my daughters play tournament Softball with year round practice, but I'm a junkie and junkies need MORE!
In a very Molly Shannon way, I just might dig out my old cleats...or maybe one of my daughters bat bags, but NEVER a slider, those fuckers are rank.

P.S. Rockies...seriously?

Labels:

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home