Brain Barf

May contain traces of nuts.

Thursday, October 11, 2007

Much

I'm an Aunt again!
My younger TBM sister had her first baby!
Fat, curly, so beautiful...and with a congenital condition, uncertain future and shots three times daily, forever.
The birth was about week ago, and I haven't posted about it, and don't know if I ever will.
Because my Mother/Aunt/Sibling protective claws are out in full force.
After a week of tests, tears and weepy phone conversations, my oldest daughter put things into prospective.
This baby is a "SURNAME" and we are the best support system in the world.
It's amazing to me how much I can love this little person whom I've never met.
We're going to Utah at the end of this month to carefully flubber the newborn tummy.

I had parent teacher conferences today for my second grade, eight year old twin boys.
My boy with the expressive language issues (a.k.a.,MFA) is the first in his class in Accelerated Reader tests. He's reading third grade+ books and is consistently getting 90-100%.
He's at the top of his class in every other subject except for spelling.
The spelling thing doesn't worry me a bit, he just hears and processes sounds differently.

My Brother left Washington tonight. I won't see him again before he moves to Australia.
He was here for a week and we took good use of our time and made a lot of memories. Some involving alcohol, trampolines and subsequent hangovers.
It was painful, in some ways, to re-bond with my niece (5) and nephew (3) because they could be adults before I see them again and most likely won't remember this time.

The kittens are fat and happy. They are starting to get playful, and are becoming escape experts. I think my Wonder Mutt mom may be lactating a bit, but not enough to let me off the hook.
I tried soft food for the first time yesterday, and two out of five dived in. I was actually worried that the two might suffocate themselves because they dove in up their ears.
It's been a lot of hard work, like every two hours, and a truck load of Benadryl, helping these abandoned kittens survive. NOT something I would have ever signed up for.
For the critical people:
I'm a responsible pet owner. Both of my dogs are current in their shots and respectively spayed and neutered.
This was thrust upon me.
The mama, is obviously a baby herself and a first time Mother. Definitely less than a year old.
She most certainly abandoned her babies because she was starving. That can happen when your human family deserts you and moves to Arizona. She is SO small and skinny.
The first few days, when they sat and cried in my garden for two entire days, before I took them in, she would sit about fifteen feet away and observe them and if one got too close to her, she would swat at them, growl and increase the distance.
The humane society would have taken them in for a fee, but then euthanized them...and I'm just not wired that way.
I don't need it often, but I really deserve a pat on the back for five healthy kittens.
BTW, all five are boys and have the cutest little fuzzy balls.

...and it's almost tomorrow, another day, bringing a whole new set of challenges...

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

  • At Thursday, October 11, 2007 8:31:00 AM, Blogger Miranda said…

    You get my award for being Good People. No matter what cost (and Benadryl ain't cheap.)

     
  • At Saturday, October 13, 2007 6:25:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Your life is so rich with lovely people.

    I'd come take one of those kittens off your hands if I lived nearby, but I'll be sure to sneak into the animal shelter in a week or so and get one there instead. If I were queen of animal shelters, I would take in stray animals for no fee.

    - Phoebe

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home