Brain Barf

May contain traces of nuts.

Saturday, September 08, 2007

Silence

I too, am very sad about the passing of Pavarotti.
Even though I rejected most of the things that were "acceptable Mormon outlets", while growing up, Pavarotti somehow, made the cut.
I spent a large portion of my evening, weepy, watching the Pavi on youtube.

At the same time, there are people just as important as him, in more subtle, different ways, dying every day and it's not in the news.
No one notices, not even the people that should.

It's been made very clear at my work, that I'm not paid to care.
Seven years later, the charge nurse still tells me I'd make a lousy nurse, "I care too much and have an unrealistic work ethic."
I'm paid to wipe butts, kiss administration ass, and could I fucking conform already?

The point is... once in a while when I do actually have a point.... sometimes I feel like I'm the only witness to the silencing of an amazing talent/voice/person/perspective/history.
One example: (of many) A beautiful lady who was a trained, accomplished concert pianist and then retired and gave lessons in her home town with a long waiting list.
When I first met her, she was blind but could sit at the piano and play anything anyone suggested from memory.
The other residents delighted in her playing their every request after dinner.
When I went in to help her get ready for bed at night, and tucked her in, I always left her doing her finger exercises in bed.
When she finally had to leave my assisted living facility, she could still play, but it took sitting on the piano bench by her with a lot of cuing.
She went to the nursing home part of our hospital a while ago, and couldn't play any more.
The last time I visited her, she continually rocked back and forth with her hands on her forehead.
In four years:
I never saw a single person visit her.
Not a single family member.
Not a single former student that had waited in a long privileged line for her to instruct them.
The nursing home aides tell me that she's on her way out, she's stopped eating and responding.
It won't be on CNN, there won't be a huge celebration of her life.
Probably just a few sporadic people like me, who recognise what she was and what was lost.

I'll read CNN tomorrow before I go to work, about some sort of Paris Hilton version of lame/blah/WhoGivesAFuck escapade, then lament about the priorities of our society and then go to work and wipe the asses of people who actually matter.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

  • At Saturday, September 08, 2007 7:46:00 AM, Blogger Ann said…

    Gosh, K, that story breaks your heart. I bet they all go to her funeral, though.

    It's easier to show you care when they're dead, than when they're old and out of it and smell unpleasant.

    People suck, you know.

     
  • At Tuesday, September 11, 2007 2:43:00 PM, Blogger JoeinVegas said…

    I'm glad some of the staff care enough to spend time with people.

     
  • At Wednesday, September 12, 2007 11:23:00 AM, Blogger Randy said…

    We had an elderly coworker die last week. He was a little strange, and he was a Scientologist. Not even our boss went to the memorial service at the local Scientologist Church. I was out of town, or I would have been there. I got on well with the old guy, and I thought he deserved more respect in death than was shown to him around here.

     
  • At Sunday, September 16, 2007 3:09:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That's the way I feel too. If life weren't enough of a popularity contest, then death reserves the accolades for mostly the rich and famous.

    - Phoebe

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home