Brain Barf

May contain traces of nuts.

Saturday, November 18, 2006

Kicked

I may have mentioned somewhere on this blog how much I love my job, so much that I don't even view it as a job.
Gawd I love my old farts, they are my quasi extended family.
For me, it's not an income thing, how can it be when you look at the pathetic wages of nurses aids?
I applied for this job five years ago, for a break from the daily wife/mother shit, and found out that I love it. Loved it enough to conquer major social anxiety issues and go back to school to be a nurse.
You know how I said I was going to call in, a few blogs ago?
To watch my daughter in Cabaret?
I couldn't do it (guilt works, try it now!)
I decided to miss opening night, and watch my daughter in a Matinee performance tomorrow before work.
The funny thing about not (never in fact) calling in yesterday is that, after I put all of my incontinent friends to bed, I had some RARE spare time.
After I had charted, bleached every surface available, and did a majority of the night shifts work, I wandered the hospital (our call system is via a beeper that I've found even works when I once mistakenly took it home).
I came upon the job posting board, that I haven't read in the five years I've worked there, and found my exact position and hours. Posted three days prior.
How nice. Funny!
Today I called staffing, who also happens to be a good friend of mine, and told her it wasn't very comforting to see my job posted, she had no clue, but freaked out. Partly because I am her "go to girl", when a shift needs covering, she can count on me.
A few minutes later, the DNS's administrative assistant called me back, because all of the really important people had left at noon, Duh, it's Friday.
She explained that the per diem staff was being phased out.
It seems that because we consistently work the same hours (plus) as per diem employees we could actually sue the hospital for back benefits.
This only affects me, and two other per diem employees in the entire hospital, all three in assisted living, one is a nurse.
Of course, they didn't have the common courtesy to inform us, or give us a chance to
apply for our exact positions as part time employees.
If I hadn't looked at the board and informed my fellow employees, we would have found out next month when our names weren't on the schedule.
The real peach is that, my staffing buddy called me tonight to let me know that the only position that has been applied for, is mine.
That, folks, is what you get for being a model employee, for putting your heart into your job.
Now bend over to take it up the ass.
Hey wait! Maybe I'll call in tomorrow with a sore ass?!



3 Comments:

  • At Saturday, November 18, 2006 9:02:00 AM, Blogger Ann said…

    Wow. Wow. The bullshit never ends, does it? I suggest you go find yourself a new job. But pronto. Somewhere else, where maybe you'll be treated with respect by the people who pay you, and not just with love by the people you care for.

    Assholes.

     
  • At Saturday, November 18, 2006 12:43:00 PM, Blogger Miranda said…

    I am blindingly fucking pissed by how fucked up this is.

    You deserve so much more.

     
  • At Saturday, November 18, 2006 9:33:00 PM, Blogger Phoebe said…

    Oh, "blindingly fuckingly pissed" perfectly describes my feelings about this.

    Yeah -- get another job. There is a nurse shortage all over the country. You could practically pick your hours and days, I hear.

    If they're worried about lawsuits from per diems who want back-benefits, they really should be worried about lawsuits from the families of their neglected clients.

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home