Brain Barf

May contain traces of nuts.

Monday, May 08, 2006

Tomato Toddler Therapy

Last year was the first year in my adult life that I did not plant a garden.
I thought I was too busy with school to take care of one.
I did plant all of my flowers and hanging baskets, but not a garden.
I'll never do that again.
It was teh suck (all your base are belong to us).
As a child I thought that gardening would be a major reason I would need therapy as an adult (my father was a vegetable garden Nazi. One of my punishments was to pick a 5 gallon bucket of rocks out of the garden).
As an adult, gardening is one of the things that keeps me out of therapy.

My containers are planted, my hanging baskets are happily full and hanging, and the tomato seeds my boys and I started in the kitchen window, are now happy toddlers in my garden.
Peas: Check.
Lettuce: Check.
Cucumbers: Check.
Cilantro, Basil: Check.
Pumpkins planted in my Grandpa's wheelbarrow because I just like the idea: Check.

Gardening is one of those areas in my life that I put forth a little effort and get bushels full of satisfaction back.

Next year I am going to plant some of the things that I hated as a child, but now hate to love. Rhubarb, asparagus, Garlic and Gooseberries. All things that take time to grow.
I need to grow though, and I have time.
And if you didn't think I was weird enough already, Marigolds are my favorite flower and second in scent only to warm tomatoes and summer soil.
Thanks Dad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home