Brain Barf

May contain traces of nuts.

Monday, February 27, 2006

Redrum

I've never killed anything.
OK, fine, the bees and such that have hit my windshield, yes.
THAT wasn't intentional.
I was raised on a farm and bottle fed the animals my father killed for food.
I went hunting with my dad, and he even made me shoot a clay pigeon once.
But I cried every time.
~sigh~
I overdosed my fancy rat, Jill, tonight.
No laughing, it's real to me.
She's had cancer for QUITE awhile and I'm surprised how long she has lasted.
But today...When I finally saw her in pain, her body wasn't keeping temp, and she was frantically hungry, but her organs were swollen, hard and no longer functioning/digesting...I fed her Fruit Loops soaked in codeine syrup.


The positive side of this experience: it has opened discussion doors with my children about life/death and everything in-between in a larger sense.

I couldn't separate her from Jack (my other fancy rat), because you want to die with the ones you love around you, so I put a heating pad under their cage, set on low to keep her warm, until...
I've always been in favor of assisted suicide. I have watched too many people suffer and painfully linger on (mostly due to the wishes of their families needs, not theirs).
Would my views be the same if I was the one to pull the plug?
I don't know.
But I did intentionally kill a living organism tonight.
I'm OK with it right now.
At least until the morning when I have to experience the fruits of my labor.
I'm such a softie.





3 Comments:

  • At Tuesday, February 28, 2006 12:42:00 PM, Blogger JoeinVegas said…

    But what about Jack?

     
  • At Wednesday, March 01, 2006 12:56:00 PM, Blogger Cjara said…

    I'm such a softie.

    Makes 2 of us.

    (((((((((((Keri))))))))))))

     
  • At Saturday, March 04, 2006 8:32:00 AM, Blogger doug said…

    5 years ago I was for a modified form of assisted suicide (not full-on assisted suicide) sort of like your fruitloop induced comfort with heavy dose of comfort. Today I am balls to the wall in favor of assisted suicide - sally on up to my necro-cocktail and let the slumber roll. What changed, well I stopped factoring dog and all the rules changed. Weird...hey, the song lied, "woo, woo, woo" it's not magic.

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home