Brain Barf

May contain traces of nuts.

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Boys are NOT defective girls*

*This post is disorganized because that's what happens when Keri gets PISSED OFF.
My sons have been stamped, labeled, and put into a "resource" class without an IEP (Individualized Education Program). I have nothing against resource classes, they are invaluable when they actually fulfill their purpose, but:
Basically in their school, this a class is where they put the children with behavior problems, or children the teachers don't want to take the time for.
My boys have NO behavior problems (I was so freaked out when I found out that I was pregnant with twin boys, that I read many books including "Real Boys", "The optimistic Child", and have always treated them as people not a gender.)
One son (twin A) DOES have an expressive speech problem and sees a Language Pathologist four times a week and an expensive outside Speech Language pathologist once a week. He's doing great there with steady progress.
They are both young for first grade as their Birthday is at the end of June and they are both quite shy.
Twin A is slightly behind his grade level, mostly because he has many more important things to do (conquer their castle they got for Christmas, annoy their sisters and chase the dogs, as we don't have/allow television or video games) But they DO NOT struggle with any homework that is sent home.

Twin B was just falsely labeled because of his brothers issues.
I have repeatedly requested individualized homework in areas that they are struggling, with no luck.
Twin A DOES need some extra help, but NOT this kind:
In this resource "class", they have been spit on, pushed down/into a wall which left bruises and one son was kicked in the testicles that hurt him for two days, and so on. The only thing they are "learning" from this class is how defend themselves. >:o(
I have talked to the teachers, the principle, the counselor.
One teacher is making a small effort.
One teacher has no patience for children who don't fit in the box.
The resource teacher (they go there half days) is fresh out of college and has very little social skills and to put it lightly, appears overwhelmed.
The principle thinks they are making things up for attention (which is totally out of character and explains the bruising).
The counselor is "busy" and I think, hesitant to get in the middle.
If a little first grade girl was getting spit on, pushed around and kicked in the genitals, I think the reaction from the school would differ greatly. WRONG. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN ANYMORE.
This mama bear is getting her claws out.
This is where the IDEA law may help me out (Randy? No pressure).
There is some amazing information in this weeks issue of Newsweek, "The Boy Crisis"
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10965522/site/Newsweek/ .
Both of my girls graduated this elementary with ZERO problems, because they fit the standardized testing mold (Oh, yeah? Well, twin A made a 3D Pentagon with raisins from his breakfast cereal and toothpicks yesterday!)
Monday I start volunteering (guarding) in their classes four times a week and my husband twice a week. My husband changed his work schedule for this sole purpose.
Tomorrow I am contacting the Superintendent, the school psychologist (and anyone else who will listen and/or give me a shred of help/information because I'm feeling desperate/enraged and the school has decided that it's US against THEM. We're just being difficult parents, and the school is always right.)

This WILL NOT BE my boys school experience.
I WILL get them out of this class and get them the help they really need.
They can take their standardized box and shove it up their ass of which I will happily assist.
http://www.schwablearning.org/articles.asp?r=73&g=2&WT.srch=1
http://para.unl.edu/para/Organization/lesson2.html
http://www.cec.sped.org/pp/IDEA_120204.pdf

6 Comments:

  • At Friday, January 27, 2006 5:12:00 PM, Blogger Cjara said…

    (((((((((Keri)))))))))))

    I hear you. I HEAR you. Same shit here just different vowels....

    But 4x Language Pathologist a week?...geeesus, not even in my wildest dream could that happen here.

    Cross the above. It's worst shit AND different vowels. Sigh. :(

     
  • At Saturday, January 28, 2006 7:49:00 PM, Blogger Ann said…

    I'm not giving you a hug, babe, because it might slow you down.

    Kick ass. Take names. Go, Keri girl, go.

     
  • At Sunday, January 29, 2006 5:49:00 PM, Blogger Phoebe said…

    Keri,
    They have no legal right to put your boys in that class. In the middle school where I used to work, I saw what happened in the resource class. A lot of impatient teachers shouting at kids -- that's what. The louder the teachers shouted, the less the kids wanted to be in school. I highly douted the intelligence of the resource teachers, to tell the truth. And you think personal learning plans mean anything? They don't. It's just a bunch of words on paper to make the parent think there is an operative plan for the kids. But reality is they are all stuck in the same classroom with the same teacher who cannot attend to 30+ individualized needs.
    I had a friend whose daughter was behind in reading. I told her to do anything she could to keep her out of that class. Get a tutor. Homeschool her during reading class -- anything but put her in that hell hole they call resource class.

    I agree with Ann -- don't let this go on any longer. I'm with you in anger all the way.

     
  • At Sunday, January 29, 2006 8:50:00 PM, Blogger Just Me said…

    Our state has a law called a "504 Plan". Instead of placing a child in resource classes it makes the principal, teacher and parent come up with an individualized plan. It is a legal agreement, free of charge, initiated by the parent. It allows the child to stay out of resource ESPECIALLY when the child doesn't have behavior problems.

    Does your state have anything like this? We placed our daughter on a 504 plan when she was diagnosed with dyslexia last year. It was an emotional and frustrating time until I found out about this law. Funny, no one was willing to freely give us the info about it. I read it in a book about dyslexia.

    Best wishes, Ms. C. Give 'em hell.

     
  • At Sunday, January 29, 2006 8:52:00 PM, Blogger Just Me said…

    I should mention the 504 plan here forces teachers to accomodate the child on their level and forces them to follow a plan much like the IEP you write about. The teachers are forced to accomdate the child's "special" needs.

    Keep us posted. I am curious how this will turn out for you. Nothing worse than someone messing with our kids.

     
  • At Monday, January 30, 2006 10:48:00 AM, Blogger Randy said…

    Keri--have the legal advocacy people been any help? Let me know if I can do anything.

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home