Brain Barf

May contain traces of nuts.

Saturday, October 01, 2005

Good smelling.

Once upon a time, I had a blog...

I guess I won't miss Softball.
The thirteen year old daughter tried out for a tournament team in our neighboring town (there isn't enough girls her age for a team next year here in podunk land) and made it! She's not even a lesbian! I asked! $400 just to be on the team, and that doesn't include any tournament/travel costs. Oy. She also won the student body elections! How is this my child? She's not smoking and making out behind the band trailer? Did I mention she's in the band, plays the saxophone and ROCKS it?

I guess I won't miss my old farts either.
I'm not cutting back on my work hours like I have in previous school quarters.
Speaking of, this quarters classes are spanking my plentiful arse. Kicking, have kicked and will continue to kick. Fifteen credits seem so small when you sign up for them.

But anyway, back to my children...

My eleven year old has had a heckuva time adjusting. The two elementary schools here combine into a pre-middle? School in the fifth grade. Her classes are with all of the kids from the other elementary school. She didn't know anyone. She is painfully shy (like her mother) and had a hard time making new friends (like her mother).
We have had multiple mommy/daughter dates with much retail therapy and ice-cream.
She finally has a new best friend and (like her mothers youth), it's a boy.
It's been really tough on her...But you wouldn't know from her grades (not like her mother).

My boys. ~Sigh~ Somewhere along the line they decided to grow tall and lanky and lose baby teeth and baby fat...WITHOUT permission. They have different teachers this year. Not "different" as in "special", but more like they are in separate classrooms. It was my choice, and I was worried about it, but....They are thriving. Even Mr. Ichoosenottospeak, is reading. His amazing teacher made it a priority for her to be able to understand him. She does. I don't even know how to express how thoroughly incredible this woman is or how to repay her (because we all know her salary won't).

When I grow up, I want to be my kids.

5 Comments:

  • At Sunday, October 02, 2005 11:05:00 AM, Blogger doug said…

    "She's not even a lesbian! I asked!"

    I asked DS if he was a homosexual and he rolled his eyes right out of his skull.

    I am convinced my son came from a different gene pool because he isn't doing drugs, works hard in school and seems to get along with his parents - WTF?

    "I guess I won't miss my old farts either."

    I take enzymes for that and it works great.

    "We have had multiple mommy/daughter dates with much retail therapy and ice-cream."

    We must have read the same parenting books.

    "When I grow up, I want to be my kids."

    It troubles me that my kids are more mature than I am. DD comes home from school and tells me how her class mate was making fun of her daddy and his unemployment status. DD said, "I just ignored her even though she hurt my feelings." I wanted to pick a fight with the insensitive girl’s mother (but I held my tongue, barely).

     
  • At Monday, October 03, 2005 12:11:00 AM, Blogger Phoebe said…

    Your kids thrive because of your wonderfulness.
    I too can't believe how much better my kids are than I was.
    Good luck with the 15 hours. I'm sinking under my paltry 8.

     
  • At Monday, October 03, 2005 7:33:00 AM, Blogger JoeinVegas said…

    You may not be able to smell cigarettes on her breath, but the 'making out behind the trailer' thing doesn't show up - well, sometimes, but I hope you don't find out that way.
    Yes, please don't leave us old farts.

     
  • At Tuesday, October 04, 2005 5:53:00 PM, Blogger Just Me said…

    what a sweet post!

     
  • At Tuesday, October 04, 2005 5:53:00 PM, Blogger Just Me said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home