Brain Barf

May contain traces of nuts.

Monday, October 24, 2005

Fuzzy

A few days ago, I discovered a tumor on one of my thirteen year olds pet rats.
She's a "fancy" rat (should this be funny?) and they are prone to tumors.
Jill, of the Jack and Jill rat duo has a tumor on her right leg and can't walk on it anymore. There just isn't much you can do for that. The vet tech pretty much laughed at me when I called.
The thirteen year old feels helpless and sad. Me too.

Today my boys were playing out back (they had an archeological dig going on, with my makeup brush as one of their "tools" because we had just watched the National Geographic, "Mystery of the Pharoahs"), so I left the back door open so I could hear them at "work".
Ms. Petunia, my eleven year olds wiener dog got out and is lost. We walked and drove around the neighbor hood for hours until the eleven year old, finally, had to go to bed. She went to bed exhausted from sobbing. She feels helpless and sad. Me too.

This whole "pet" thing has me torn. They give us so much (as in Bob the cockatiel won't shut the fuck up type of headache) and my children learn responsibility, love and loss.

Moses, our Golden Retriever is whining at the back door right now, but his pal Petunia isn't there.

I guess these are things that need to be learned: Love, responsibility, loss...
But, shouldn't my kids be exempt from pain, and if not, do they need to learn it so soon?

(I'm pretty confident that if anyone takes in the wiener, despite her tags with our number and vets number, they will soon evict her stubborn, obnoxious, smelly ass)

4 Comments:

  • At Monday, October 24, 2005 7:25:00 AM, Blogger JoeinVegas said…

    Rats and birds and dogs - any fish? Those don't last near as long and are quiet, and usually not smelly (if you clean the tank).

     
  • At Monday, October 24, 2005 6:52:00 PM, Blogger doug said…

    My daughter has a dog and a hamster. Apparently hamsters only live a couple of years. Ours is about to give up the ghost. He is presenting with red discolorations on his belly (cancer maybe) and his hair is thinning remarkably. DD seems to be taking this in stride. I am sure she will have a good cry when Rufus goes for his dirt nap.

    I've never watched a hampster grow old and die, I wonder, do I need a living will? We won't be getting another rodent, who will get his belongs? Can you intubate those little critters? Have you ever defibralated a cat? (I have, that's right, I am the man.) These and other endlessly stupid questions are free and how great is the internet.

     
  • At Monday, October 24, 2005 6:54:00 PM, Blogger doug said…

    I meant to type 'belongings', not 'belongs'. Were you even listining - geeezzzz.

     
  • At Monday, October 24, 2005 7:43:00 PM, Blogger Phoebe said…

    We had a rat with a tumor once. He walked in circles for a week, and then he died.
    I'm sure that's why my son does pot now.
    Kidding.

    I am so worried about you, girl. You seem to feel your children's pain even worse than I feel my children's pain. And that's really, really bad.

    One last thought -- I wish my husband's dogs would disappear.

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home