Brain Barf

May contain traces of nuts.

Monday, December 13, 2004

Flight Plan.

Mr. Jackolope died this morning. He fell yesterday and broke his hip and then stroked out. Now when old farts fall, they very rarely recover, so Yay for the stroke. Saves time eh?

It's OK Mr. Hospital Administrator. You have your waiting list. His room will be cleaned out and re-occupied within the week.
It may take me a bit longer to deal. And I may have a hard time liking the new resident for awhile just because of the room they are in, but hey, I'm a professional. I see this all the time. I'll get over it, you just make sure you bill the dead guys family up to December 12th MmmmmKay?

Oh, and I decorated the Jackolope anyway. I sewed and stuffed and scarved, top hatted and carroted a glorious fiber fill snowman to cover the Jackolope. In fact I just might charge you for that overtime. Can't let a little thing like death stop me...no no no!!

As for the fire alarm tonight? No, the real one, not the fake fire drills that the state requires 56.3 times a month, the real one. Yes that one. The one where the dude in acute care lit his bedding on fire and the charge nurse called code red? Yeah, I showed up with my fire extinguisher, I even pulled the pin. But the Doctor said...no no...no just shut the door. Damn.
How much fun is it to evacuate 20 non-ambulatory freaking out acute care patients whom you have just shut off their oxygen? You guys may never know. BUT, I did wittness some very fine fireman anatomy. Alas, the night wasn't a total loss.

I *KNOW* I throw myself into my work too much....as the Y chromosome in the house frequently reminds me.
When one has no real life friends other than family, one tends to care and attach ones self to needy, sweet and smelly residents a bit too much at ones work.
Yeah, this death rates right up there with the "Joyce fluorescent fluids cancer chick" death. Only this one was not as expected.
Yes, I am prone to depression, but I always have my smart ass to dig me out.
See, I'm not really so sad right now, just mostly caustically cynical and sarcastic. Yum.
Fuck you Charge nurse, I'm still in the right field.
Happy Monday.

6 Comments:

  • At Monday, December 13, 2004 8:24:00 AM, Blogger JoeinVegas said…

    One of my wife's best friends was a nurse in a cancer ward at the vet's hospital in Houston. She had problems because there was only one way out of that ward for the patients, similar to your situation. After several years she finally had enough and transferred out to another ward - too many after the fact goodbyes. I am impressed with people that can work in your position, and want to say thank you for doing it.

     
  • At Monday, December 13, 2004 10:46:00 AM, Blogger Ann said…

    Oh, K., I'm so sorry. I know you cared so much for Mr. J.

     
  • At Monday, December 13, 2004 12:55:00 PM, Blogger Just Me said…

    Hmmmm where was your camera when that fine fireman anatomy was around? Sad to hear about Mr. Jackolope. Damn.

    You know my doc tells me aaaaaaaaaaaaall the time,(and you have confirmed it here) every visit, he says, "Make sure you stay on your HRT and other meds for your bones. When old people fall and break their hip they rarely recover. VERY RARELY." (FYI, HRT helps keep bones healthy and strong) (sucks to have early menopause...you get to worry about old people shit way too early)

    Now as for attaching with people because of not many RL friends. I am like that, too. I have my family. But I don't have other family (brothers, etc) that I am close with. So I tend to care very much about people, even acquaintances. It's okay once they realize I am not stalking them or once they realize I am not gay. :)

    Dammit, do you get to keep Jackolope? Or will he say in the room? I hate to see him tossed out or given to someone who won't appreciate him as much as you do.

     
  • At Monday, December 13, 2004 2:11:00 PM, Blogger Phoebe said…

    Wow.
    Just realized that you experience stuff like that more than most of us do in a lifetime. Yes, I know the sequence; it usually goes like this: Fall, fracture hip, go in for hip replacement operation, catch pneumonia while lying in bed "recovering" from operation, die. Pneumonia is affectionately called "The Old Man's Friend." Sarcasm does save me from tears sometimes; that's how my grandpa died.
    Bless you, sweety.

     
  • At Monday, December 13, 2004 4:44:00 PM, Blogger Miranda said…

    sniffle. I'm sorry to hear about Mr. Jackalope.

     
  • At Wednesday, December 15, 2004 6:16:00 AM, Blogger none said…

    (((((Keri)))))

    I´m sorry for Mr. Jackolope.

    So you get attached. So? You´re human. It´s the core element that makes us likable. Dog knows, we don´t have *much* else to brag about...

    I wouldn´t know about the H.Admin though...

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home