Brain Barf

May contain traces of nuts.

Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Centrum Silver

These people won’t even come out of their rooms for activities.
These people wear their Mr. Rogers sweaters to dinner in the middle of the summer when it is 115 degrees because they are cold.
A few of these people are legally blind.
These people are between 58 and on Nov. 1st 101 years of age.
These people blew my mind tonight.

One of these peoples came out to the nurse’s station and asked where the eclipse was. I said, “I’m not sure (hellifIno) let’s go look”. We went, we looked and she said “I wonder if *Elaine would like to see this?”
24 out of 30 residents later, in the cold Eastern Washington air, my lesson was learned.

*Bob, said, “I’ve never seen an eclipse before!”
Keri said, “You are 90 years old, a retired Washington State Senator an Attorney, where have you been?”
*Bob said, “I guess I must have been sleeping.”

Legally blind *Joe said, after he waddled outside with his penguin walk, “Corey (damn, that is close enough for me, and I may just abduct you), if I lean my head to the side and look out the corner of my left eye, I can kind of see a bright spot.”
Keri said, “This is just the beginning of the eclipse, the bright spot is the part of the moon that hasn’t yet been covered by the earths shadow, the part of the moon that is in the earths shadow is a dark brown/red/rusty color and you can really see the outline of the moon and all of the moon spots and in about 3 more hours the moon will start to look like herself again.”
Joe said, “That sounds nice.”

*Mary Jane said, “It’s freezing, I’m going in.”
Keri said, “let me go with you to shut off the front door alarm when your wander guard goes off.”

*William who owns a kick ass Jack-O-lope said, “this reminds me of when Mt. St. Helens erupted and the whole state went dark.”
Keri said, “ I want to scan those photos you have of the eruption sometime William, they are amazing, they don’t even look real, they look like a painting.”

*Rose, the sick lady who hadn’t gotten out of bed in two days said, “Please stand closer to me, I’m cold, but this is just too fascinating.”

*Melvin said, “Thank you so much for coming and getting me, I’ve never seen an eclipse.”
Keri said, “You betcha, I’ll come and get you in 2007.”

*Zelda said, “I’ve forgotten why are we all standing out here, it’s very cold?”
Keri said, “Let me walk you in.”

*Names changed to protect some of my mostest favoritest people on the planet.

Most of these people have 60 years on me.
Tonight they were awed children.
THAT is my lesson learned.

















6 Comments:

  • At Thursday, October 28, 2004 8:34:00 AM, Blogger Ann said…

    Y'know, if they'd watched Game 4 of the world series, they would have seen something that hasn't happened in most of their lifetimes.

    But as I've said elsewhere, there was a total lunar eclipse, Hobbit skeletons were found in Indonesia, I got a job, and the Red Sox won the World Series. Miracles happening everywhere yesterday.

    Great, great story, K. What an upper.

     
  • At Thursday, October 28, 2004 3:45:00 PM, Blogger Dave said…

    Ah, Keri, you've got a heart of gold, don't you?

    It makes it hard to go with the, "They blew your mind? That's not the part of the body I like being blown" joke I was going to respond with.

     
  • At Thursday, October 28, 2004 11:17:00 PM, Blogger none said…

    The world needs more people like you. Seriously.

     
  • At Friday, October 29, 2004 9:39:00 PM, Blogger bluebear said…

    Ms..Ch--

    Thank you-- you would have liked George

    adieu

     
  • At Sunday, October 31, 2004 8:05:00 PM, Blogger Phoebe said…

    That moon opened up a can of whoop-ass on my mind, too, Keri. Saw it accidently, and had to stand outside longer than anyone else had the patience for. I was dying to point it out to somebody else, but only a cat crossed my path. The kids acted like they'd seen more interesting things on Fear Factor. That's why I like old people better sometimes :)

     
  • At Sunday, October 31, 2004 10:58:00 PM, Blogger Ms-Chievous said…

    Phoebe is back!

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home