Brain Barf

May contain traces of nuts.

Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Tree hugging, bleeding heart shit ahead.

Why can't I just stay in my little mental hole, and not rock the boat?
I don't eat pork (fetal pigs in human biology) I don't eat red meat very often, because it is usually just gross and I don't want to be a mad cow anymore than I already am. I don't eat cats (Anatomy & Physiology) Hehe..
So I was left with chicken, turkey and fish. Sheep and goats and whatever sick things you're going to say aren't even an option.
To quote a dead man, "It's OK to fish, cause they don't have any feelings." Right? Can I at least eat fish and crustaceans? I'm not sure if that quote is from the Kurt Cobain, or the Meat puppets, forgive my ignorance.
I subscribe to a few magazines, and I actually read an article in my "Orion" last night. It was called "Crimes Unseen, the dark story of America's big slaughterhouses, and the effort to make their grim work more humane." I'm going to quote one of the milder but very profound (to me) paragraphs here.
"Mohandas Gandhi said that a nation's moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Animal behavior scientists have proven unequivocally that animals are not machines but sentinent beings that experience feelings of pain, fear, anxiety, and despair. These feelings matter to the animal and they should matter to us."
There are other paragraphs that made me physically ill(honestly), and cover my eyes and cry. But I'm going to spare you, unless you ask.
There just aren't that many options out there. If I go Vegan or vegetarian, I'm paying for child labor in third world countries, cutting down rain forests and polluting the environment by having all of the exotic out of season fruits and veggies shipped in to feed me?
I guess this is another one of those issues that there aren't any hard, true answers. You just have to do what feels right for you.
Multi-vitamins and water are on the menu today.
I'm allergic to nuts. I'm so screwed.




9 Comments:

  • At Tuesday, August 31, 2004 2:11:00 PM, Blogger doug said…

    two words: ice cream

     
  • At Tuesday, August 31, 2004 2:13:00 PM, Blogger doug said…

    Oh, I guess ice cream won't work if beef stroganoff supreme is your favorite flavor. Ok, back to the drawing board.

     
  • At Tuesday, August 31, 2004 6:48:00 PM, Blogger Ann said…

    You have a garden. That is a good thing. You could raise chickens, unless they are forbidden by the terms of your title. When we lived in West Texas, we were not allowed to have farm animals, "except for poultry for table use." Damn, and we really wanted a cow...

    Just don't give them names.

    I'm old, so I'm done feeling guilty about the accident of birth that put me here, in the land of 10% of the population, 50% of the resources. Just do the best you can, send a few dollars to elect progressive candidates to moveon.org, and enjoy your fish.

     
  • At Wednesday, September 01, 2004 7:34:00 AM, Blogger Jo said…

    It is overwhelming to acknowledge and grasp all the torture and pain that really goes on in the world not only with humans but with animals as well. It makes me crazy. I have to force myself not to think about it. I donate to a few organizations hoping my little bit will help. I often wonder if I am trying buy my way out of guilt or actually help the cause. You do a lot of good in the world, Keri, grasp that. There is so much that is out of control these days. Or is it really not out of control but that more people are aware of it? See I can't even start to ponder it or I will be analyzing it for a two months and make myself nuts. I love you Keri girl!

     
  • At Wednesday, September 01, 2004 10:08:00 AM, Blogger Phoebe said…

    Read "Fast Food Nation" if you want to remain depressed about the slaughterhouses for the rest of your life. Heck, the direction of farms is towards massive buyouts, massive pesticide use, and bleeding the farmers dry, so it's a little disconcerting to be a vegetarian as well.

    I'm mostly vegetarian, but have had to swallow my soap box to feed the rest of my family who enjoy steak and chicken once in a while. Fast Food Nation suggests patronizing stores that buy their produce and meat from small-operation farmers who abide by certain moral codes when raising cattle and grain. Unfortunately, this gets pretty expensive.

    Here's how I have to see things or else go crazy:
    I am a speck in the universe.
    My time here on earth amounts to a skish of a heartbeat's time.
    Man's time here on earth is the length of a fingernail clipping compared to how long it's been since the earth formed and sprang forth volcanos and dinosaurs.

    I want to live, therefore I partake, since I can't be Ghandi. I get too hungry, and frankly, he was a little obsessed. Not saying anything bad about obsessed people because they are the earth-shakers, but since I'm not an earth-shaker I don't want to drive myself crazy over ALL the ills in this world. I have enough self-drummed up worries to keep me up at night.

    I love conscientious people like you, by the way.

     
  • At Wednesday, September 01, 2004 10:20:00 AM, Blogger doug said…

    can we PLEASE just get back to ice cream?

     
  • At Wednesday, September 01, 2004 10:22:00 AM, Blogger doug said…

    hmmmm, am I out of step AGAIN?

     
  • At Wednesday, September 01, 2004 12:35:00 PM, Blogger Dave said…

    Whenever this subject comes up, I feel the need to remind people that if God didn't want you to eat animals, he never should have made them out of meat.

    Keri, it's the way of the universe. Yes, we eat the animals, but when we die, we become the grass, and they eat the grass... it's all part of the great circle of life (except the merecats. Apparently, they're grass-intolerant).

    (NOTE: My daughter is on this huge Lion King kick lately - all 3 of them, but that's had no influence on this post whatsoever).

    I'm reminded of the Friends episode where Phoebe is freaked out over all the dead Christmas trees. They tell her that she should use the trees, otherwise, they will all have died in vain. That's why I love a good burger. Cows gave their lives so that I might live. Should I ignore that? Besides, think of all the steak sauce you're wasting...

     
  • At Wednesday, September 01, 2004 1:49:00 PM, Blogger Ms-Chievous said…

    I agree Dave. BUT, it's the way that these "items" are coming to my table that I'm not OK with.
    I'm grass intolerant too, except for the kind you smoke. I'm kidding!!

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home