Brain Barf

May contain traces of nuts.

Friday, June 25, 2004

Read at your own risk.

"Never try to reason the prejudice out of a man. It was not reasoned into him, and cannot be reasoned out." Sydney Smith

This weekend is Gay Pride in Seattle. I will be there. I will wear my rainbow fish taco shirt with PRIDE. :o)
Now, I'm just about as hetro as it gets, but my older sister is a Lesbo. We have always been very close, more so than any other sibling. She even lived with me for 4 years. I have seen, heard and felt some of the prejudice, bigotry and discrimination that she has suffered.
I remember when my parents were going through their nasty divorce, my dad tried to prove that my mother was an un-fit parent because my sister was a ~gasp~ homo-sexual! The court counselor they both were ordered to see (in UT!!, I'd love to know this guys name so I could give him a big wet smoochy) told my father that he should be PROUD of my sister for being strong enough to stand up for who she was, especially in the environment she was raised! Can I get an Amen!?
My sister and her partner have been together for 12 years and currently have an 8 year old daughter. They are both registered nurses. But, Georgey Poorgy, you and your dogmatic government should be able to tell two adults who they can love and marry?!
I think it's great for people to disagree, I really do. But when you're flat ass wrong, you tend to look silly.
"I have examined all the known superstitions of the word, and I do not find in our particular superstition of Christianity one redeeming feature. They are all alike founded on fables and mythology. Millions of innocent men, women and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined and imprisoned. What has been the effect of this coercion? To make one half the world fools and the other half hypocrites; to support roguery and error all over the earth." Thomas Jefferson.

2 Comments:

  • At Friday, June 25, 2004 11:59:00 AM, Blogger Miranda said…

    Hee "but when you're flat assed wrong, you tend to look silly." So true.

    I'm on an "unschooling" elist (I don't home or unschool) and recently some person quit because one of the posters is "engaged in a homesexual lifestyle." I'm sure you can guess how the rest went. >:o

    I just love how the GD conservative Christian faction loves to complain that homosexuals are ruining family. Yeah, that Ann Coulter and Rush Limbaugh have really advanced the cause of "traditional" family. I would say that your sis and SIL are more a family than those those blowhards will ever be.

     
  • At Saturday, June 26, 2004 8:03:00 AM, Blogger Jo said…

    Wow! That counselor rocks! It's so true, too. Thanks for sharing the story of your sister. I have seem many gay and lesbian people suffer. It's so WRONG. I just don't get how mean people can be and so unwilling to try to understand ANYTHING.

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home