Brain Barf

May contain traces of nuts.

Sunday, June 20, 2004

My Parents were/are Sadists.

I was re-reading some of my previous blogs for inspiration, and I came across a comment of mine about "Pioneer Week."
Now I must clarify here that I do not dwell on the past as much as it seems here on my blog. I really have resolved most of my issues about my child-hood, but it does make for interesting writing/reading! ;o)
Back to "Pioneer Week". This was invention mostly my Father I believe. My "mother" just played along extremely well.
"Pioneer Week", consisted of my parents turning off all electricity, plumbing and every modern convenience for an entire week, this would include the electric cow milker. We pooped in buckets, cooked outside and in the 80's where big hair was mandatory, no power to our curling irons or blow dryers. Don't forget the agony of no aqua-net or white rain, LOL. AT least they let us sleep out on the trampoline, instead of the ground.
Now this may not seem so harsh to all of you, but my parents were very wealthy when I was young(er). My Father owned multiple businesses in Utah, one of which was a motorcycle business called "Allied Cycle" in Orem. I grew up in a family of 7 children, each having their own four wheeler, 3 wheeler or dirt bike, not to mention the necessary water sport vehicles. Our house was quite large to accommodate the Mormon suggested amount of children (which would be as many as the wife can squirt out before she requires insitutionalization). That would explain the foster children.
The house was on the shores of Utah Lake, a great place to learn to water ski, as you would never want your body to touch those waters. This all factored in, "pioneer week" was quite the culture shock. Albeit, in a culture that is very shocking.
Now, one may pause to question the reasoning behind all of this. Life lessons? Appreciation for what we had?
Let me know what you figure out, because I sure as Fudge (mormon swear word) don't know.
Let it be known that I will never sign up for "Colonial life" or any other PBS special because I have already served my time.
Rambling has ceased, Amen.

8 Comments:

  • At Sunday, June 20, 2004 8:42:00 AM, Blogger Jo said…

    "(which would be as many as the wife can squirt out before she requires insitutionalization)" - OMG!!! This is way too true!!! LOL LOL LOL You crack me up!

    Now for the "Pioneer Week" - maybe they just needed something to talk about???????? Did they ever go no one of those pioneer treks? If not maybe that was the closest they knew they could come? And hey, if the parents have to suffer so do the kids. Right?

     
  • At Sunday, June 20, 2004 8:43:00 AM, Blogger Jo said…

    I didn't realize what a very big word "institutionalization" was. WOW!

     
  • At Sunday, June 20, 2004 8:57:00 AM, Blogger Jo said…

    Hey I posted two comments...where they'd go? I'll give it some time to see if they show up. If not, I'll be back.

     
  • At Sunday, June 20, 2004 9:47:00 AM, Blogger Dave said…

    OMG! You know, the more I read your stuff, the more I'm reminded of my own life as a mormon. So, because of this, let me provide a heart felt sorry.

    I remember one Christmas (while we're talking about cruelty in the name of religion) where all the gifts had to be church related. So, being the creative guy I can be when necessary, I asked for roller skates, telling my parents that I could do missionary work faster than if I were walking. That didn't work.

    I believe my main gift that year was a four in one of the mormon scriptures. Yippee! I think I was 11 or 12 at the time. What a fuckin' ripoff. And what the hell does toilet paper have to do with the church anyway? (Because I believe that's what I used it for)

     
  • At Sunday, June 20, 2004 9:38:00 PM, Blogger Jo said…

    You know I;ve been thinking about your post and I vividly remember leaders one year encouraging everyone to do this....to live without the "luxuries" of life...running water, electricity. My older kids were very young then and I remember a stake conference, I believe, in which we were encouraged to do this. This was sometime in the 80's. I remember my ex and I actually talking about doing it. I remember feeling guilty because we didn't/couldn't. If I remember correctly it was a way to "teach us a lesson". Such as...are you prepared to live off your storage for one week, are you prepared to live without plumbing, electricity. Hell we weren't prepared. We were lucky to live day to day with three little kids and doling out freakin' 10% to the church.

    Geez just thinking back to how I actually felt - so unworthy is just amazing and so foreign to me. I can't believe I ate that crap up and was so gullible. heavy sigh

     
  • At Monday, June 21, 2004 12:07:00 AM, Blogger Ms-Chievous said…

    I've been on the handcart trek Jo, and Dave our christmas gift requirements were that they had to be handmade. Ughh.

     
  • At Monday, June 21, 2004 5:44:00 AM, Blogger Randy said…

    Did your folks ever explain the supposed point of this Pioneer exercise? Like the Mormon Pioneers really understood what life would be like with electricity, motorized vehicles, and big houses on the lake? In the context of the times, they sacrificed comforts, for sure, but they probably wasn't quite as signigicant for them as we 21st Century Americans would like to believe.

    I lived near an Orthodox Jewish neighborhood in St. Louis back in my law school days. Every Saturday, I would see the Orthodox walking to and from the Synagogue. They were following religious law, and I've no doubt they understood what they were doing and why. That's different from just going without for a week to have some kind of empathy for your ancestors.

     
  • At Monday, June 21, 2004 8:59:00 PM, Blogger Jo said…

    Keri - I sent you a message via Yahoo messenger. Please check it out. :)

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home